Cats and Pesticides


Cats are very sensitive to pesticides, and even small amounts can be harmful. Pesticides can cause a variety of health problems in cats, including:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Coma
  • Death

If you think your cat has been exposed to pesticides, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. There is no specific antidote for pesticide poisoning, but your veterinarian may be able to induce vomiting or give your cat activated charcoal to help absorb the poison. In some cases, your cat may need to be hospitalized for treatment.

Here are some things you can do to protect your cat from pesticide poisoning:

  • Read the label carefully before using any pesticide.
  • Follow the directions on the label exactly.
  • Keep pesticides out of reach of your cat.
  • Do not apply pesticides near your cat's food or water bowls.
  • Wash your cat's paws after they have been outside.
  • If you have to use pesticides in your yard, keep your cat inside until the pesticide has had time to dry.

By following these simple tips, you can help keep your cat safe from pesticide poisoning.

Here are some additional tips for preventing pesticide poisoning in cats:

  • Use natural pest control methods whenever possible.
  • If you must use pesticides, choose products that are labeled for use around pets.
  • Keep pesticides in a secure location where your cat cannot reach them.
  • Dispose of pesticides properly.
  • Wash your cat's paws after they have been outside.
  • Watch your cat for signs of poisoning, such as vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, or coma. If you see any of these signs, contact your veterinarian immediately.