Train your feisty feline not to be a door dasher
I train The Feisty Feline ask Lily not to dash out the door. Here are some tips on how to train your cat not to be a door dasher:
- Spay or neuter your cat.Unspayed or unspayed cats are more likely to roam and get lost.
- Make the indoors a fun place to be. Provide your cat with plenty of toys, scratching posts, and other things to keep them entertained.
- Don't leave the door open. If you must leave the door open, make sure your cat is not in the room.
- Teach your cat a command like "stay." When you are leaving, give your cat the command "stay" and then immediately close the door.
- Reward your cat for staying put.When your cat stays put when you give the command, be sure to give them a treat or some other form of praise.
- Be patient. It may take some time and effort to train your cat not to be a door dasher, but it is possible.
Here are some additional tips:
- If your cat does dash out the door, do not chase them. This will only make them more excited and likely to run away.
- If you find your cat outside, do not punish them. Instead, bring them inside and try to figure out why they ran away.
- If your cat is still having trouble staying inside, you may want to consider getting a catio or a harness and leash.
With patience and consistency, you can train your cat not to be a door dasher.